Movies in India by the contemporary masses is watched a lot but the subject or the data it is made on makes it a topic of debate.
The other day one was having discussion with an old friend that movies are so educating and so realistic, but he laughed off the idea citing reasons that stupidity subjected in Indian and Hollywood cinema can never be classified as intelligence.
One didn`t debated much on the topic because he was partially correct, the movies that hit market on a daily basis are “commercial “oriented and is made to delight the consumer and allow her/him to wander in dreams to places where her/his pocket cannot take and think about the fantasy man/woman she/ he might never be able talk to or be with.
In the lines on Raj Kapoor : I sell dreams….
Though present day directors, notably Anurag Kashayp , Vishal Bharadwaj , Imtayaz Ali and Farhan Akhtar are trying to experiment , alot needs to be done so that more in the likes of my friend could appreciate the art of story telling, which has had a special place in our culture instilling correct values and morals.
It may be the 60`s of Manoj Kumar, 70`s and 80`s of Amitabh Bachchan,90`s and 2000`s of sharukh khan films have been good with some “blunders” going side by side.
- Upkar : Manoj kumar fim is still acclaimed and respected across previous generations
- Sholay : Amitabh Bachchan, Dharmendra, hema malni…. the film was an epic.
- Chak de and Swades : These were movies with good concept and trying to rake in good emotions.
- Taree Zameen pe : directorial debut of Aamir Khan was a good reflection of a dyslexic child and his parents inability and reluctance to accept his problem.
- Dev D A remarkable make over of modern youth, his fight with his self destructive nature and his journey in finding himself and true love.
- Astavita a very hard hitting movie of its time, focusing on womans` desires where in her husband is in extra marital affair featuring shabana azmi and raj babbar.
Movies have been a source of education and representation of weak, complex,searching unvoiced masses.
Though some movie do become a tool for propaganda also due to directors` or producers` past experiences, they might try to hit at certain communities more than other due their deep vengeful behavior though citing the reasons that the are exploring it, but rather exploiting it.
but yes with a the big but :the quality of content is a cause of concern getting item songs in movie and no good script will lead to erosion of respect among the movie goers. Hope the makers have a sense of that.