Alright, so in continuation with the last post of mine about native americans in movies, I wanted to add some points. I forgot to mention that there are indeed some great movies which are based on native americans. They are beautifully pictured and were in an era from 1990-1996. Some followed few years after but it was these 6 years that set the tone for classic native american movies.
This includes one anime movie which girls in particular love and the latest of all was the biggest grosser in the world till date (which didn’t get the Oscar for the obvious political reasons). The names are pocahontas and Avatar.
(Avatar is an Indian name meaning though some insecure Indians (Indians in south asia,near China) due their inferiority complex among white people choose to pronounce it “Awataur” which is how a British or an American pronounces it.when an Indian chooses to correct the fellow mispronouncing Indian,then they would use their “educated” speech,about how educated they are and that they come from a family of “educated” Indian people, in short they will still pronounce it “Awataur’. No wonder they still consider themselves inferior.)
The list of the movies which came and those I liked are as follows ( I have seen all of them and found each one worthy of a recommendation)
- Legends of the fall (1994)
- The last of the Mohicans (1992)
- Dance with wolves (1990)
- Geronimo (1993 )
- pocahontas (1995) ( This was based on life story of Pocahontas )
- Smoke signals (1998)
- Hidalgo (2004) ( This is a lovely movie of a man’s relationship with his horse)
- Avatar (2009) ( The underlining political movie, banned by china, It was made more in terms of the European settlers removing the “barbarians” for the precious “resource” )
- Apocalypto (2006) (Some say that it includes native americans also along with the Mexicans, a history when spanish expedition ships landed on american soil, therefore I included here)
I have been able to find a website that offers the best native american movies, though the biggest problem is downloading them. Many of these movies are unavailable in form of torrents so that does cause some problems.
The site is http://www.bluecorncomics.com/namovies.htm, It provides a good detailed insight of movies and TV show of the native american culture.
The site also offers some native american TV shows, again they are tough to be located on net as there is no torrent for them and are not seeded.